Project

General

Forum outage 9/10 Jan

Added by martynj about 3 years ago

Due to a glitch during a software upgrade, it was necessary to roll back a few hours of Forum activity.
If you were registering / posting late Thursday 9th/ early Friday 10th January and your transaction has vanished. please re-do.

Apologies for the inconvenience…

Replies (22)

RE: Forum outage 9/10 Jan - Added by Mars about 3 years ago

So what was upgraded while I was dreaming of new JeeNodes ?

RE: Forum outage 9/10 Jan - Added by jcw about 3 years ago

Nothing. I tried to upgrade Redmine to the latest version, but got buried in a rails vs debian version conflict. Hence the restored backup.

It pays off to persevere: Redmine has now been upgraded to the latest 2.4 branch.
Probably not so many visible changes, though, but it’ll be useful going forward.

PS. You may have seen some server glitches as I was working my way through all the upgrades.

RE: Forum outage 9/10 Jan - Added by dzach about 3 years ago

I guess I can still wish a prosperous 2014 with lots of physical computing.

Here is a bug report:
I usually read the forum from the RSS/Atom feeds. However, following the upgrade, the links of the Atom message titles are now in the form:

http://192.168.1.xxx:yyy/boards/6/topics/3522

i.e. showing a LAN IP address 192.168.1.xxx:yyy instead of jeelabs.net

Ah, great catch, thanks! Should be fixed now.

RE: Forum outage 9/10 Jan - Added by Jasper about 3 years ago

May be an idea to just throw the server offline or possibly read-only during such upgrades?

RE: Forum outage 9/10 Jan - Added by aideen about 3 years ago

Email notifications for watched threads (including News) don’t seem to be working any more (last one received was on Sun 12 Jan).

RE: Forum outage 9/10 Jan - Added by tankslappa about 3 years ago

Aideen, have a look in your spam folder, for whatever reason, my notifications have recently been flagged by my host, 1&1 as spam.

Aha you were right. Thanks for the heads up tankslappa. They were being caught by Zen Internet’s spam filter - not something I check very often. Coincidence that it started happening since Redmine was updated?

Odd - the whole setup has changed though. Redmine now runs as a Docker container inside a VM (still same IP address on the VM).
Docker lets me combine more pieces inside a single VM, instead of running multiple copies of Linux, MySQL, and some admin tools.
And I can move any of these pieces to real hardware if needed.

Let’s see if more reports come in (assuming those affected will start wondering about the lack of notification emails).

Yup, here too!

All notifications are in my spam box since the change, and sofar I can’t change that for some reason, ie whitelisting does NOT help…

I’m on it. Thx for letting me know. Email is no longer being relayed through my ISP.

Fighting with Postfix and with SASL auth at my provider right now…

Ok… looks like this does indeed fix it: apt-get install libsasl2-modules

No longer getting caught in the spam filter at this end.

Yup, spot on JCW. No longer flagged.

Looks like your ISP has got themselves flagged as a source of spam.

Other way around: I forgot to re-route through my ISP again. Could probably also solve it with SPF on jeelabs.net, but this will do.

Anyway, thanks aideen &tankslappa for flagging this.

Just for reference, all of the notification mails for this entire thread have come through to me without issues or being flagged — going to a gmail (google apps) address.

Ah, ISP customer range IP, that explains it, they’re frequently on block lists thanks to infected home users (and their fridges) pumping out emails.

Even without that — Spamhaus’ PBL policy blocklist (and thus also their XBL combined-everything-blocklist) lists all dynamically assigned ISP IP ranges by design, even if there’s never been a spam event associated with them, and quite a few receiving servers use the XBL as a hard blocklist. I think that’s ridiculous, personally, but that’s the way they choose to run their servers and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Yup, it works again!

(1-22/22)