Project

General

New version of RF12demo , see #439

Added by jcw about 3 years ago

There’s a new version of the RF12demo sketch that comes pre-loaded on all JeeNodes, JeeLinks, etc.
This is just a “pre-announcement”, it will take some time before new units can be shipped with this code.

Highlights:

• support for running the RFM69CW in compatibility mode, i.e. interoperable with existing RFM12B nodes and networks
  • a new frequency offset command (“o”) to adjust the exact frequency used by the radio
  • all config defaults are saved, not just the “c” command, but now also “x”, q“, and the new ”o" command
  • this also means that previously stored EEPROM settings will be lost when this updated sketch is uploaded
  • preliminary support for running a “tiny” version of RF12demo on the JeeNode Micro, and other ATtiny-based boards
  • a brand new work-in-progress home page for everything related to this RF12demo sketch, at RF12demo

The original version has been tagged as “RF12demo-v11”, and will be kept around for download on GitHub.

The new version announces itself as:

[RF12demo.12] _ i31* g5 @ 868 MHz q1

Note that quiet mode (“1q”) is now the default. More flags will be shown when they differ from the default, e.g.

[RF12demo.12] _ i31* g5 @ 868 MHz (+1605) q1 x2

With the RF69 driver, the RSSI value will be included at the end of each line, e.g.

OK 9 204 126 66 235 152 55 86 28 231 121 154 24 (–69)

In this case, the packet from node 9 was received with an RF signal strength of –69 dBm.

More coming, this info and more will be added to the new RF12demo home page.
All source code is available at https://github.com/jcw/jeelib, and on this site in the new JeeLib area.
If you run into any quirks or problems, please submit a bug report on the issue tracker.
Everything is released with the liberal open source MIT-license, as usual.

PS. With a big thank you to @JohnO for implementing many interesting features, and for patiently preparing it all for release.

Replies (15)

RE: New version of RF12demo on its way - Added by Remcokortekaas about 3 years ago

Wow! Impressive piece of work and a very useful/functional update. Compliments to you all.

Is the JeeLib RFM69 driver in rf12demo generic for the whole RFM69 range? Can I drive an RFM69HW with it in RFM12 compatibility mode or just the RFM69CW?

Many thanks for all your inspirational work.

Remco.

RE: New version of RF12demo on its way - Added by jcw about 3 years ago

Thanks. You’re too quick - I haven’t used the HW, don’t have such a module here. Maybe someone else can try it out?

Btw, format of the config line has already changed slightly (simpler and more consistent):

[RF12demo.12] _ i31* g5 @ 868 MHz c1 o1605 q1 x2

And the “o” command now reports the exact frequency, thanks to a suggestion from JohnO - see issue #438.

RE: New version of RF12demo on its way - Added by JohnO about 3 years ago

The new driver works fine on my RFM69W.

RE: New version of RF12demo on its way - Added by Remcokortekaas about 3 years ago

I just tested the RFM69HW. It seems to receive just fine. Sending data (e.g.: 1,1,3s) from RF12demo.12 sketch doesn’t do anything (noticable). Switching to the RFM12B with the same version 12 of the RF12demo sketch sends data as expected.

I’m double checking if I didn’t overlook any defines in the sketch for RF69 mode…

Update:
Only found the one define in the top section of the sketch, I already altered to 1. #define RF69_COMPAT 1 // define this to use the RF69 driver i.s.o. RF12. Did I overlook anything guys?

RE: New version of RF12demo on its way - Added by JohnO about 3 years ago

Confirmed on RFM69W. The ‘t’ command works fine both ways between 12b & 69W but ‘s’ has issues.

RE: New version of RF12demo on its way - Added by jcw about 3 years ago

I’ve created a new issue for this - please post relevant info at #439.

Issue updated. I overstated nothing happening. Something is being send, but node_id in message/payload is wrong (see issue-update). I only have RFM69HW and a JeeLink laying around so those are the two I could easily test.

Will check the code (as an exercise, no illusion I will succeed though).

RE: New version of RF12demo , see #439 - Added by ulli about 3 years ago

I checked the manual of the new module RFM69CW and found a functionality to receive and transmit OOK signals.
I am very interested in using the new modules with FSK and OOK singals.
Currently I am using two Jeenodes:
* one for 868 MHz FSK (LaCrosse Temperature sensors + heating valve eth200) + OOK FS20 (actuators) [by the way also for infrared tx&rx]
* one for 433 MHz OOK (sending and receiving power plugs/remote)

Right know, I am thinking about using the new RFM69 module for higher range of tx and rx.
Have you already tried the OOK functionality?

RE: New version of RF12demo , see #439 - Added by jcw about 3 years ago

Haven’t looked into OOK yet, you’re way ahead of me :)

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out, though.
There’s an RF69::control() function you can call to read and write the radio’s registers.
Should be enough to experiment with the setup and even to send/receive the actual OOK data.

RE: New version of RF12demo , see #439 - Added by JohnO about 3 years ago

Has anyone used RF69::control() ? I am hoping to read a register and tried the following:

Serial.print(RF69::control(0x01, 0)); // Read mode register

but this appears to hang.

Writing the registers would look like this:

RF69::control(0x33 | 0x80, 0); // Write 0 to 5th sync byte

I haven’t tried this yet because of my problem reading the registers.

RE: New version of RF12demo , see #439 - Added by Remcokortekaas about 3 years ago

Hi John,

I used this one earlier, with success: Serial.print(int(RF69::control(0x10, 0)));

RE: New version of RF12demo , see #439 - Added by JohnO about 3 years ago

Many thanks @Remcokortekaas, it turns out I was trying to read registers before I had initialised the SPI & radio.

RE: New version of RF12demo , see #439 - Added by JohnO almost 3 years ago

Version currently in RF12DEMO branch is quite stable now.

(1-15/15)