Project

General

P1 Smart Meter

Added by jeroenb over 1 year ago

Hi, I received a “dutch”smart meter last week. The smartmeter is a meter with a P1 port running at 115200 (8bits) With a transistor I reversed the logic.
/KFM5KAIFA-METER
1-3:0.2.8(42)
etc

With a FTDI interface directly coupled to my server I can see the “telegrams”without problems When a Jeenode is connected to the P1 port almost all messages are somewhat corrupted. (every telegram about 3 line, using softwareserial, or altserial)
Are there any experiences with high baudrate’s using soft serial solutions ?
Or is it better to use the hardware Rx port for that purpose

regards Jeroenb

Replies (4)

RE: P1 Smart Meter - Added by martynj over 1 year ago

@jeroenb,

I’d suggest using the hardware UART function - even if you could squeeze that baud rate out of one of the software solutions, once the radio section gets active, you will probably run out of base level processor cycles.

RE: P1 Smart Meter - Added by jeroenb over 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try this weekend/
regards Jeroenb
Any idea why the smartmeter uses such a high baudrate. With a telegram once in 10 seconds it looks like overkill.
The gasmeter communicates wireless with the Electricity meter so perhaps it is possible to detect the telegrams wireless.

RE: P1 Smart Meter - Added by martynj over 1 year ago

@jeroenb,

Agreed - in a rush to send quickly the slow moving data ;-)

I would expect the gasmeter packets are encrypted, else the system is vunerable to injection of fake readings. Presumably this traffic is much slower to conserve the onboard power source. Which also suggests there must be some battery status information passed so that a service call can be generated for a ‘dying’ meter. The mechanical counter is retained I assume?

RE: P1 Smart Meter - Added by jeroenb over 1 year ago

We don’t have a mechanical counter anymore, it is just the Landis+Gyr G350 .
I think the meter uses the Wireless M-Bus protocol. Search for (Silab, Wireless M-Bus Suite and Silabs specific documetation) , yes with the typo ;-)
Actually there is quite a lot off information
In the Netherlands we also have the slimmemetertestlab (smartmeter test lab) https://www.slimmemetertestlab.nl/

(1-4/4)