Project

General

Getting (Re)Started

Added by celephicus@gmail.com about 4 years ago

Nice restart with the LPC810. It looks like a worthy replacement for little 8 bit processors like the AtTiny or those little 6 pin PICs. I like it because it is one address space, so easy to program, has a gcc compiler and has a bootloader, so no nasty little boxes required to get the code in, just a serial port. If only it was available in surface mount, I suppose the die won’t fit :(

I’ve used lpc21isp before, but a co-worker didn’t like it, so he wrote a Python script that uploads to the LPC15xx series processors that we use in a morning. And it’s faster than lpc21isp. Mind you, it only supports one processor family. Just an example of how easy this family is to use.

We have just got some contractors to do some work for us, they wanted to put a PIC processor in a product, I am trying hard to get them to use a LPC824 (20 pin version of the LPC810 with ADCs). I’ve pointed them at your blog as inspiration. The LPC8xx series are CHEAPER than an equivalent PIC.

Replies (3)

RE: Getting (Re)Started - Added by jcw about 4 years ago

Thanks, glad you like it. Yeah, I have a few versions of lpc21isp alternatives to upload code here as well (also other ARM), but I didn’t want to introduce even more new stuff.

I’m keeping track of a fairly large number of different ARM chips and boards (you should see the collection here at JeeLabs…), but the LPC8xx family made the most sense to me for “open source exploration” at the time when I had to pick a chip to start with.

In terms of cost, I think there really is no comparison: multiple ARM vendors bringing out an incredibly wide range of chips, all for a few € even in single quantity. The hidden costs are far more important IMO - investing time once in setting up all the tools, getting familiar with them, figuring out the data sheets, and finding people to share with and learn from. The µC chips themselves are becoming a commodity, just like resistors, buffers, wiring, and solder: all absolutely essential, but also no-brainers.

The LPC810 is just one of many participants in the bigger story, as I see it. But as starting point, it’s also totally awesome and cute ;)

RE: Getting (Re)Started - Added by JohnO about 4 years ago

I can’t currently create a 64bit Linux under VirtualBox, only 32bit guests are offered, tried some of :
http://superuser.com/questions/668006/why-virtual-box-wont-give-me-option-to-create-64-bits-guests
I guess I need to look at the BIOS.

Virtualisation was disabled in my HP BIOS, after enabling I now see 64bit options. Strange that the VirtualBox code didn’t spot that during the installation.

RE: Getting (Re)Started - Added by jcw about 4 years ago

Hey, good catch. Lots of different hardware and BIOSes out there.

Either way it’s not a show stopper. Using the 32-bit version of Ubuntu Linux is fine too.
I don’t really know what the trade-offs are for software development - 64-bit setups are a bit larger and slightly faster, I think.

(1-3/3)