Project

General

Setting up the VM on Windows host

Added by doewie over 4 years ago

re. Sharing Files

For me this share ( /media/sf_xfer/…. ) was only available after joining group ‘vboxsf’ in the Ubuntu guest.

Replies (12)

RE: Setting up the VM on Windows host - Added by jcw over 4 years ago

Ah, yes, thank you - I’ve updated the information. Yet more twisty little passages…

RE: Setting up the VM on Windows host - Added by doewie over 4 years ago

jcw
re. Sharing Files: ‘user mod’ or ‘usermod’ ;<))

re. Ignore the Console

After following your instructions I was unabale to connect to the ‘host-only’ adapter.
Following steps did solve the problem:

In VM Virtual BoxManager:

Goto File -> Preferences -> Network
Select tab: Host-only networks.
Edit the 'VirtualBox Host-only Network Adapter'
Change IPv4 Address to something in the network of the DHCP-server (f.i. 192.168.56.10)

The Host-only issue is new to me. I wonder what’s different - I looked up the IP address in VBox, then connected to that in Putty.

Thanks for catching the typo.

RE: Setting up the VM on Windows host - Added by doewie over 4 years ago

I think my versions of VirtualBox and VirtualBox Expansion Pack were mixed-up.
After complete reinstallation VirtualBox/Expansion Pack to latest version 4.3.20 (2014-11-21) the host-only adapter connects automatically.

But regarding Files Sharing i’m still puzzled. I have it working but only after installing the Linux Guest Extensions on the Ubuntu Guest, which according to the VB-manual is a requirement for Files Sharing.
Did you forget to mention this step in your setup procdure, or did I missed something?

Not sure. I don’t remember anything about guest extensions. Let’s wait and see how it goes for others.

Note to self: in a month or so when the config has settled down a bit, it’d be a good idea redo a complete installation from scratch to verify all the steps.

RE: Setting up the VM on Windows host - Added by JohnO about 4 years ago

I think we should add “sudo usermod -a -G dialout \$USER” for the VM and Linux setups.

The above may not be required in light of http://jeelabs.org/book/1447c2/ where “sudo usermod -aG vboxsf ” is issued. However, the group “vboxsf” doesn’t exist on my VM.

RE: Setting up the VM on Windows host - Added by doewie about 4 years ago

@johnO

I’m running Ubuntu guest (in VM 4.3.20) on W7PRO host.
I wanted to share some folders but for this feature VM requests to install Guest Additions in the Ubuntu guest. After intalling these additions there is a new group vboxsf with all rights in the shared folders. So this group should be added to .
If you’re not using shared folder then indeed the group vbboxsf does not exist in the guest.

Thanks doewie I had just got to the point you describe my install is underway, I guess these sections should be added to “The Book”.

doewie wrote:

> I wanted to share some folders but for this feature VM requests to install Guest Additions in the Ubuntu guest.
I seem to need to use: “sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms” requesting inserting CD image via VirtualBox doesn’t install anything that I can see. Perhpas the CD image contains code to be run…

RE: Setting up the VM on Windows host - Added by doewie about 4 years ago

@JohnO
I remember it took me some time have this working and i’m not sure about all the steps. (mmh…. why do i never log these steps?)
I believe i started the guest with the CD connected to VBoxGuestAdditions.iso which should be located in your C:Files\Oracle\VirtualBox folder.

RE: Setting up the VM on Windows host - Added by jcw about 4 years ago

Thanks for all the notes - there are some typo’s in the articles (“dealt” iso “dialout” auto-correct, doh) - I’m keeping a list of changes/errata for the next book revision, including a link to this thread.

(1-12/12)