Project

General

Browser side programming (elm)

Added by cbrake over 1 year ago

Have you ever considered elm for front-end development? I used it recently on a small project and it seemed to work well in combination with a golang backend. It was interesting to me that golang and elm seemed to be a nice match. Both focus on simplicity. Both have excellent compilers and tooling. Both (expecially elm) are statically typed such that when your program finally compiles, good chance it will just work. Both compile to a single file/binary, so that deployment is very simple.

Cliff

Replies (2)

RE: Browser side programming (elm) - Added by jcw over 1 year ago

Thanks for the pointer - I've heard of it, but only just now took a (brief) look.

How would you compare Elm to ClojureScript? My impression is that CLJS is very active, and I kind of like all the tooling, books, and experienced developers driving and using it. Both seem to me (at least superficially) to benefit from the functional and immutable concepts, and Reagent is quite easy to use with its "hiccup" notation for embedded HTML.

RE: Browser side programming (elm) - Added by cbrake over 1 year ago

I don't have a lot of experience with ClojureScript, so probably not qualified to answer. A few years back I tried it, and got a little discouraged with complexity of setting up a project, and just doing basic things, but that has likely all improved. Elm is also functional and everything is immutable -- in my experience a good way to learn functional programming. Elm is like Go in that they threw everything out, took the best of various languages/technologies, and implemented a solution from scratch that focused on simplicity. Elm is the framework, as well as the language. This makes things much simpler than layering technology on top of technology. I should probably try ClojureScript again and Reagent does look interesting. This podcast was helpful to me:

https://changelog.com/podcast/218

(1-2/2)