Project

General

Soldering station & tips advice...

Added by Mars almost 6 years ago

My current Ersa 16W soldering iron is now about 25 years old, and doesn’t do well anymore with current small components and multilayer boards.

So I was looking for something new, preferably a soldering station with a nice and light iron and additional tips.
To be honoust, I also would like to buy new soldering skills, but buying a new 25 years younger me, seems not doable with current techniques ;-)

I’m leaning towards the Ersa I-CON PICO, which is just over my intended budget, for €140 + postage (€7) at reichelt.nl.
AFAIK jcw is using the more expensive brother, the NANO.

I have no idea however what kind of tips are best for soldering. Round, flat, large, small??

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies (7)

RE: Soldering station & tips advice... - Added by jcw almost 6 years ago

Since you mention it - http://jeelabs.org/2010/06/08/smd-hand-soldering-tools/

Serves me well. I still use the same 0.4 mm tip, even though I have a few others. Get one or two extra tips, I’d say. Part of it is simply personal preference.

Hey, do you mean this one - it looks exactly the same to me as what I use.

RE: Soldering station & tips advice... - Added by martynj almost 6 years ago

@Mars
While you are upgrading your soldering iron, it is well worth considering improving the lighting. Pushing up the intensity with a good spread source (to avoid deep shadows), lets the eye "stop down’ and improve depth of focus. Integrating this with a gentle 1.5x or 2x lens also helps without reducing the field of view too much.
Plenty of choice if you search for ‘bench magnifier light’.

RE: Soldering station & tips advice... - Added by o_cee almost 6 years ago

I bought a Weller WHS M and I couldn’t be happier. It heats up in seconds, very nice grip (like a pen where the distance from your fingers to the tip is very short) and the 1,3mm chisel it comes with is excellent.

RE: Soldering station & tips advice... - Added by Mars almost 6 years ago

_ocee:_ the Weller might be very good, but way over my budget 240@ farnell and even €350 @@ conrad…
I hoped to find a good & light one for around €100, but only found complaints :)
@martyn: good one. Already bought a head band with light and magnifying glasses. That was the reason to upgrade my soldering iron: now I could see what a mess I made with it. Ofcourse I thought it were my soldering skills, but when I compared my soldering results using a pro station, I knew it wern’t my skills alone that caused bad solder joints ;
)

jcw: the nano and pico seem identical. I think the price difference of around €50 is caused by the extra tips you get with the nano… And I don’t know if I ever will use them.

(can’t find a way to get rid of the formatting caused by the first @…)

RE: Soldering station & tips advice... - Added by o_cee almost 6 years ago

Mars wrote:
> o_cee: the Weller might be very good, but way over my budget; €240 farnell and even €350 @ conrad…
> I hoped to find a good & light one for around €100, but only found complaints :-)

Check Reichelt, they sell it for 185€.

RE: Soldering station & tips advice... - Added by Mars almost 6 years ago

Hmmm, that’s a much better price! Reichelt seems to get good prices, almost half the price compared to what Conrad is charging…

Still, its way over the intended budget and I can’t find (on the internet reviews) a big difference in usability compared to the Ersa, which is €45 cheaper.

Might decide next week which one to buy ;-)

RE: Soldering station & tips advice... - Added by Mars over 5 years ago

Well, it has been a bit longer than a week, but Santa just promised me an Ersa I-Con Nano !

(1-7/7)