Project

General

What I miss for 2 years now in the jeenode shop

Added by jm_wsb over 5 years ago

By the moment I’m reaching a point where I need to make a choose for implementing my home domotic to a full house.

Now I’m running a couple of jeenodes, kaku, rfxcom, with domotiga software on raspi.

As a huge fan of this site/forum/blog, I would like to see in the store a couple of good cases for the jeenode. Not only the carrier board, but also some cases where the jeenode fit in with a couple of female rj45 conections + power build in.

The hardware of jeenodes is very reliable, but I always have to build myself a proper case, which is never looking professional. Kind of carrierboard, with 3 rj45 connection plugs melded in. Looks like crap. Seeiing the zwave or kaku sensors, water resistant …

Anyone has the same problem or some good solutions ?

Thanks in advance,
jeroen

Replies (5)

RE: What I miss for 2 years now in the jeenode shop - Added by martynj over 5 years ago

@jeroen,

> with a couple of female rj45 conections + power build in

You mean an integrated power supply (a mains connector into the box) or a socket on the box to feed in power from a wall wart?

RE: What I miss for 2 years now in the jeenode shop - Added by Mars over 5 years ago

I guess Jeroen is referring to this kind of housings: http://www.smarthome.com.au/sensors/316-z-wave-motion-temperature-sensor.html

A roomnode specific enclosure with all the connectors and place for batteries?

RE: What I miss for 2 years now in the jeenode shop - Added by jm_wsb over 5 years ago

Hi Mars & Martyn,

What I mean, can be such a housing as Mars is reffering to. This could be one of the new enclosures.

But a also mean:

I have a 1 jeenode connected to : humidity (1) ,temp (one wire, 6 sensors),PIR (2) ,lightsensor (1), relais (1). I took a platic case, and put here 5x rj45 connectors in the case and glued with tec7. Also a female connector for power is builded into. And it does not look professional.
You can best compare it to fe. a router/switch case: a couple of networkconnections, to connect to the jeenode where sensors can be plugged in. Place for battery will be a +.

How do you enclose your jeenodes, or are you using just 1 jeenode for 1 roomnode and using the carrier board?

Thanks in advance.

RE: What I miss for 2 years now in the jeenode shop - Added by Mars over 5 years ago

You are looking for a finished product, something that is hard to find in the whole Arduino eco system.
There are enclosures for Arduino’s, but only with the default holes for power and USB…

I mostly use Hammond cases, and try to use round connectors as that only means drilling a nice hole.

But to be true: neither of them look nice in a living room.

I hope 3D printing will become cheap fast, so that I can design my own custom enclosures that look nice and are exactly right to fit a JeeNode and the sensors.

RE: What I miss for 2 years now in the jeenode shop - Added by jpadie over 5 years ago

agreed that it’s a constant source of aggravation for me that there are no suppliers of enclosures in the small-batch market at sensible prices. I’d like to see enclosures that have a male and female mains socket in them (like timers), or that had cut outs for some standard sizes of LCD etc. I know that noone can supply all combinations but surely there is enough of a market for some?

at the moment I’m buying pre-built timers for a few quid off ebay and then gutting the insides. some of these RF controlled timers have useful salvageable components too, like momentary buttons, relays, x2 caps etc. I was once tempted to use the whole voltage drop circuit from one but when I looked at it under the loupe the soldering was terrible and they had badly designed the pcb so that there were some manual track-removals …. how that ever passed CE accreditation I don’t know ….

one of my projects has existing wall stats and programmers being replaced by internet connected devices with touch gLCD screens for control. the design is simple but there is no easy way to install them in nice looking wall mounted enclosures that would not look out of place in a middle-of-the-road house. so annoying.

in any event, I have found (in France) some reasonable value enclosures on digikey and on mouser for standard - in-box - projects if that helps anyone!

(1-5/5)