Project

General

Best position for temperature sensors in domestic rooms

Added by Jas2 about 5 years ago

Hi,

:)

I have just got my temperature sensing network proto-typed and alpha tested.

These are 19 x Dallas DS18B20 “1-wire” sensors (“1-wire” is a misnomer, in reality they are 3-wire !) strung on a CAT5e cable that will go in the loft connected to RaspPi.
They will monitor :
o temperature in each room in a one level house (bungalow),
o 3 locations in a large loft (to detect where heat loss occurs), and
o 1 location outside.

I would like to know from folks with experience / ideas :

o What is the best location in a room for a temp sensor, bearing in mind that eventually the central heating radiators will be fitted with Honeywell HR20’s, which will exist more or less at floor level, and will be fitted with RFM12B’s that will measure and broadcast temperature, when I eventually get these done. Currently the HR20’s don’t exist.

o What is the best way to encapsulate the sensor for aesthetic and measurement purposes. eg if poked straight down through the ceiling plaster board how to encapsulate ?

o Presumably ceiling temperature is much warmer than mid room height temperature ?

o Is a small temp transmitter with a RFM12B at a non ceiling location better ?

Thanks

Replies (6)

RE: Best position for temperature sensors in domestic rooms - Added by alx37 about 5 years ago

I don’t think that there is right or wrong here.

I would mount them all in the same height and in the same position in relation to the radiators.

Concerning enclosure:

https://www.schukat.com/schukat/schukat\_cms\_en.nsf/index/CMSDF15D356B046D53BC1256D550038A9E0?OpenDocument&wg=G4117&refDoc=CMSD6A79F2187A632C4C125709E0049470E

last in the list is the same as openenergymonitor.

ALexander

RE: Best position for temperature sensors in domestic rooms - Added by alx37 almost 5 years ago

What I’m also doing is monitoring my Vaillant boiler/heater:
Heating Water before and after radiators.
Stored warm water temperature.
Warm water temperature going to the taps.
Cold water temperature going to the Store.

I’m looking into finding suitable stored water temperature and heating temperature.

ALexander

RE: Best position for temperature sensors in domestic rooms - Added by Jas2 almost 5 years ago

Hi Alexander,

How are you ? :)

Thank you for your replies.

Reading the water temperature before it leaves the water boiler and as it reaches the hot tap is a good idea ! :)

I have a run of what must be 23 metres of 4cm diameter copper between my garage where the boiler is and my kitchen tap.
It takes about 90seconds for the hot water to arrive at the tap after it is turned on because this large pipe volume has to be flushed with hot water ! Very wasteful. I would like to replace it though have not figured out how to do so just yet as it is all under the floor and the carpet and sections of the chipboard flooring would have to come up.

I intend eventually to replace it with 10 or 15mm barrier polypipe, which I can do as we have good mains pressure here.

Then a measurement at either end will indicate the thermal performance of the pipe

RE: Best position for temperature sensors in domestic rooms - Added by tve almost 5 years ago

Sounds like you should add a recirculation loop and circulate the hot water. Did that in my house and it’s wonderful.

(1-6/6)