Project

General

Would a Pro Mini + RFM69 make a good JeeNode platform?

Added by NeverDie over 3 years ago

For JeeNodes, have you considered a version consisting of a Pro Mini + RFM69?

Jeelabs obviously paved the way for such a thing, and so there’s no question Jeelabs gets full credit. What’s changed over the years is that now the Pro Mini’s can be had for \$2, including shipping, which makes for a very attractive price (~\$6/node) and the potential for a lot more JeeNodes! At that price, there could be a huge uptick in the rate of adoption and deployment. An inexpensive adapter board which does away with the wires in the photo would be awesome! It’s a real testimony to JeeLabs that this is now possible. However, being new to JeeLabs, I’m (respectfully) wondering how it compares with both the classic JeeNode as well as the newer LPC810 JeeNode. The LPC810 JeeNode is obviously smaller and I get the impression it also sleeps using less power, not to mention its other capabilities also.

The ESP8266 has obviously taken off like a rocket, and yet it doesn’t appear to last as long on batteries (or so I’ve heard). Have you done any kind of quantitative comparison? Perhaps that too would mlake people more interested in JeeNodes if they saw how it truly compares. The price difference is nearly a wash and could go down with vertical integration.

Replies (2)

RE: Would a Pro Mini + RFM69 make a good JeeNode platform? - Added by JohnO over 3 years ago

Nice handiwork with your wiring. Do you have a link to your 3v3 Pro Mini’s?

RE: Would a Pro Mini + RFM69 make a good JeeNode platform? - Added by NeverDie over 3 years ago

Aside from 5v vs. 3.3v, and 16mhz vs. 8Mhz, aren’t they all about the same? I suppose with or without voltage regulator is another distinction. Preferably without, for a low power sensor.

In any case, I ordered each of these recently, and each arrived within the advertised timeframes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221031162267?\_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291369269588?\_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They should be even cheaper if you buy than in quantity.

(1-2/2)