Project

General

FreeIMU wireless device as gesture Remote Control for motorized device

Added by mirko.ugolini about 6 years ago

Hello all,

I would like to realize wireless device that host a FreeIMU sensor:

http://www.varesano.net/projects/hardware/FreeIMU

So I need a Jeelab unit to host (run) FreeIMU library suitable to transmit data to onother Jeelab device in a range of some meters.

What kind of Jeelab devices do you suggest?

Thanks in Advance

Mirko Ugolini

Replies (2)

RE: FreeIMU wireless device as gesture Remote Control for motorized device - Added by padvinder95 about 6 years ago

Hello Mirko,

The JeeLabs devices are all based on Atmel micro controllers; indeed the same as the Arduino. The normal JeeNode and the JeeNode USB/smd host an ATmega 328, the same as used in the Arduino Duemilinova I believe—and completely compatible with all Arduino code. The JeeNode micro features a smaller chip; you can read all about that on the current weblog posts. One thing to note is that some pins are reserved for RFM12b (the radio module) communication: the SPI bus is used for this. Also, one of the hardware interrupts is required, although a new version of the RFM12b drivers allows for the use of pin change interrupts, so you could use any pin instead of D2/INT0.

What do you intend to send to the other device? It is important to realise that the RFM12b doesn’t open a “wireless serial connection” to the other node: the protocol is packet-based. This is by the way required by law: you’re only allowed to send 1% of the time, for each node.

I suggest you look at the JeeLabs Hardware page to get an idea of the chips and pins used in the various JeeNodes. Then you can compare this with your FreeIMU library to see if they can co-exist; or maybe you’ll have to swap some pins.

If you have any specific questions on what pins can be safely swapped, or some configuration issue, check back at the forum!

RE: FreeIMU wireless device as gesture Remote Control for motorized device - Added by mirko.ugolini about 6 years ago

Hello padvinder95,

My idea is to realize a sort of remote control with FreeImu and two Jeenode.
So I think that a persistent channel between the two jenode is not required.

in a nutshell i nedd to rise and reduce volume and rotate clockwise and counterclockwhise one LCD monitor.

More… gesture recognition should be handled by transmitter unit (jeenode) so just few data should be sent to the receiver.
Just in case of rotation I need to send some accuarate angle values to the receiver that should move a phisical device with
servo or stepper motors.

Do you think that may Idea should be implemented using JeeNode device or you suggest to use a persistent connection (RFCOMM) made by BT devices?

In case jeenode module are OK, which of them do you suggest?

Regards

Mirko Ugolini

http://web.tiscali.it/mirkougolini

(1-2/2)