Project

General

How to know if your RF12 (using JN v6) is just plain broken?

Added by DNW1710 almost 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying, without success, to get my two JeeNodes talking to each other using the RF12demo. I’ve tried pretty-much every variation of nodes, network groups, MHz bands, etc and can’t even get a simple acknowledgement from either board. I’ve only got 2 JeeNodes, so annoyingly I can’t tell whether it’s the hardware or something I’m doing wrong with the code (although it seems like it should be fairly straightforward using RF12demo or test1 from DIJN).

The sketches upload fine, the RF12demo code does everything it should (I can communicate with it via the serial monitor on both boards) apart from communicating with the other one.

I’m at my wits’ end here, so if there’s anyone out there who has some questions/suggestions that could help, I’d be very grateful to hear from you.

Cheers!

Dan

Replies (3)

How to know if your RF12 (using JN v6) is just plain broken? - Added by martynj almost 6 years ago

@DNW1710, do you have access to any test equipment? 
 Minimum to debug is a multimeter to measure volts and current, next best is a ’scope that can see 1MHz or better.
If not, loading up dzach’s excellent band visualiser can check the receiver section with a wide scan of the band. There is usually some background RF activity out there to see. 

RE: How to know if your RF12 (using JN v6) is just plain broken? - Added by DNW1710 almost 6 years ago

martynj

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll give it a go with both boards later tonight and see what (if anything) they’re hearing…
I have some access to test equipment but it’ll be a few days before I have a chance to start prodding!

RE: How to know if your RF12 (using JN v6) is just plain broken? - Added by martynj almost 6 years ago

@DNW1710, ok - the listening test might at least give an indication of one good and one bad.
When you get access to a ’scope, these are the steps to follow 

(1-3/3)