Project

General

Resolved: Trouble Shooting RFM12B Board Kit?

Added by sketchy over 5 years ago

I soldered everything that needed to be soldered using the info in this pdf: http://jeelabs.net/projects/cafe/boards/7

I loaded RF12Demo on the Arduino w/ RFM12B board attached. I loaded test1.ino on the JeeNode. I set the config with the command: 8b 100g 31i to match test.ino’s.

The Arduino w/ RFM12B board did not receive any data. It only got to:
———————
RF12demo.10] _ i31 g100 @ 868 MHz

Available commands:
i - set node ID (standard node ids are 1..30)
b - set MHz band (4 = 433, 8 = 868, 9 = 915)
g - set network group (RFM12 only allows 212, 0 = any)
c - set collect mode (advanced, normally 0)
t - broadcast max-size test packet, request ack
…, a - send data packet to node , request ack
…, s - send data packet to node , no ack
l - turn activity LED on PB1 on or off
q - set quiet mode (1 = don’t report bad packets)
x - set reporting format (0 = decimal, 1 = hex)
123 z - total power down, needs a reset to start up again
Remote control commands:
,,, f - FS20 command (868 MHz)
,, k - KAKU command (433 MHz)
Current configuration:
_ i31 g100 @ 868 MHz
————————-
Note: I then tried a JeeLink and that worked fine. So it must be the RFM12B board.

How can I troubleshoot the board? I checked the wires several times.
Arduino > RFM12B Board
> SCK
12 > SDI
> SDO
10 > SEL
3.3V
> 3.3V

Thank you.

Replies (14)

RE: Trouble Shooting RFM12B Board Kit? - Added by JohnO over 5 years ago

What happens when you use the ‘t’ command?

It is also worth making sure that “#define DATAFLASH 0” is set rather than the default “#define DATAFLASH 1” in the RF12Demo sketch for the Arduino. The Jeelink has data flash so it is fine on that sketch.

RE: Trouble Shooting RFM12B Board Kit? - Added by sketchy over 5 years ago

Thanks very much for your help.
I changed DATAFLASH to 0
Here is what happens when I type the t command (didn’t get an ack :
<pre>
> 0t
test 0
> 66 b
> 0t
test 1

RE: Trouble Shooting RFM12B Board Kit? - Added by plutonomore over 5 years ago

Hi sketchy,

From what I understand you have attached a JeeLabs RFM12B board to an Arduino. You
could give this is try.

Arduino                     RFM12B board

dig 13(SCK)                    SCK
  dig 12(MISO)                   SDO
  dig 11(MOSI)                   SDI
  dig 10(SS)                     SEL
  3V3                            3V3
  GND                            GND
  dig 2(INT0)                    IRQ

good luck!

It also just occurred to me that you are using an Arduino, therefore 5V, not a JeeNode 3V3.
Therefore try the previously suggested wiring setup but change the 3V3 connections on both
boards to 5V. Also you will need to have the 3x 4k7 and 3x10k ohm voltage divider resistors

cheers,

Probably should also have mentioned that you will also need to install the extra caps
and 3V3 regulator on the RFM12B board to operate from a 5V Arduino… wonder what else
I have forgotten? Attaching a photo of an Arduino RFM12B board setup from several years
back. Should be helpful connection-wise.
RFM12B to Arduino connections

RFM12B_Arduino_L.jpg (200 KB) RFM12B_Arduino_L.jpg RFM12B to Arduino connections

If you are happy with your 3v3 set up then can you load RF12Demo on both units at the same time. Use the ‘t’ command on each node to verify the radio paths. If this works need to take a look at test1.

Thank you all VERY MUCH. I loaded RF12Demo on both. I also added a few additional Serial.println() on the Arduino Uno + RFM12B Board setup. I consistently get:

Current configuration:
_ i31 g100 @ 868 MHz
>after rf12_canSend CAN NOT SEND

While I have soldered a bit, I am fairly new to it. I have attached images of my soldering. Also, is there a way to use a multimeter (or other device) to see exactly where the circuit is breaking?

Again, THANK YOU.

Your soldering isn’t too bad although Rohan will be appalled - Rohan is Martyn’s son and a wiz with a soldering station.

If you are happy to, can I ask that you load the RF12Demo while only changing “#define DATAFLASH 0”. With a terminal session connected to both running versions of RF12Demo and capturing output. Then press the ‘?’ once on each and follow up with a second or two of ‘t’ command. Then post the two output files that you captured.

RE: Trouble Shooting RFM12B Board Kit? - Added by martynj over 5 years ago

Hmmm.. a couple of “dry” joints visible but more significantly, ANT // Vdd on the RFM12B module appear shorted. Worth a touch up with solder braid, but may prove to be terminal.

I included a screen snapshot of two terminal windows - AD01DTYI > JeeNode USBMODEMFD111> Uno + RFM12B
(note: I usually open these using applescript. I spent a bit trying to figure out how to get script command to save the input/output in text..but it’s going to take me more time…so sending the image…besides not sure this is what you meant?

Regarding my soldering skills - I agree they are appalling. I will continue to practice. I will get to “good enough.”

Again - MANY THANKS. I really want to know what I am doing wrong (?)

The left hand looks reasonable - as far as we can see with nothing to receive its signal - if it is able to send one.

The right hand unit is our first problem, do we have photographs of this unit? Have you been able to tidy up as per Martyn’s advice? I think there are additional soldering problems than Martyn has highlighted - can you have another go at each of the RFM12B connections and remove any shorts?

Well…YIPPEE! A HUGE thank you to you both. I removed solder that probably caused a short between ANT//VDD and I added solder to one of the pin holes that looked “dry” (one of the resistors)….

and it seems to work. I included an image of the results I got.

Again - thank you. It is very important for me to learn from my bumblings. I have learned a few things from going through this. Perhaps the standard one applies - don’t give up :-)…(no matter how foolish I feel!).

Kind regards!

Well done, perhaps I can now ask why you selected the same node number for each node? Ah, and 31 is a sort of special function node number too. No matter, you got away with a few indiscretions and all is well - enjoy.

(1-14/14)