Project

General

Resolved: RF12demo current configuration message - what does the first letter stand for?

Added by sammutj about 5 years ago

Hello, I just started my first test using a Jeenode V6, and an additional Arduino Mega2560 with a JeeLabs RFM12B breakout board. I uploaded the RF12demo program on both.

When powered up, the serial monitor of the Jeenode shows:
A i1 g212 @ 868 MHz

whilst the serial monitor of the Arduino Mega2560 shows:
F i6 g212 @ 868 MHz

What do “A” and “F” stand for? Why are they different?

Replies (5)

RE: RFM12B current configuration message - what does the first letter stand for? - Added by padvinder95 about 5 years ago

You used to be able to? Are able to? set the ID by using a letter in the alphabet. A=1, B=2, etc. That’s all it stands for. :)

RE: RFM12B current configuration message - what does the first letter stand for? - Added by sammutj about 5 years ago

Isn’t the ID the number or letter after the letter “i”? In my case, one has ID 1 and the other ID6?

I though that if one had to use letters for the ID (for example X), the configuration would be:

A iX g212 @ 868 MHz

RE: RFM12B current configuration message - what does the first letter stand for? - Added by padvinder95 about 5 years ago

Like I said, it’s an old/alternative way to set the ID; you can (or could, I’m not sure whether it’s still in use) set the ID by sending a single uppercase letter to the node. A corresponds to 1, B to 2, et cetera. The number after i is indeed also the ID, so it’s a redundant representation of the ID. However, letters are sometimes easier to remember or to spot, which might be the reason they’re there. You can safely ignore them and focus on the number after i.

RE: RFM12B current configuration message - what does the first letter stand for? - Added by martynj about 5 years ago

sammutj,

The current RFM12demo does not support single letter input to select nodeid, though it continues to display both the ASCII mapping and the numeric value.

[RF12demo.10] A i1 g212 @ 868 MHz 
DF I 610 10

Available Commands:
   i     - set node ID (standard node ids are 1..30)

etc etc

> 26i
 Z i26 g212 @ 868 MHz 
> 1i
 A i1 g212 @ 868 MHz 

as you would expect - nodeid of 1 maps to A, 26 maps to Z.
But inputting single letters without or without the trailing ‘i’ just confuse the input routine. e.g.

// input Z
> 0i
 @ i0 g212 @ 868 MHz 
config save failed

I guess an old, redundant (undocumented?) feature died somewhere along the way ….

(1-5/5)