Project

General

Resolved: rf12cw.ino for nRfMon nano spectrum analyzer

Added by malmeida about 5 years ago

I have 2 RFM12B transceiver modules connected to 2 Arduino Uno, I have done a sender sketch with a switch and a receiver sketch with a led that blinks when the switch opens but the operational distance between modules is short. In order to optimize the antennas, I tried nRfMon nano spectrum analyzer with rf12mon.ino sketch and the binary nrfmon but I can’t find the sketch rf12cw.ino to run in the second module. I tried to have my sender sketch runing in the transmitter but I am not able to detect the signal in the spectrum analyzer. Where can I get the sketch rf12cw.ino?

Replies (8)

RE: rf12cw.ino for nRfMon nano spectrum analyzer - Added by JohnO about 5 years ago

Have you tried testing with RF12Demo on both nodes? You need a terminal session open to both nodes.

Using the ‘t’ command sends a 66byte packet into the air which you should see on your receiving RF12Demo. All being well an acknowledgement will be transmitted by the receiver.

RE: rf12cw.ino for nRfMon nano spectrum analyzer - Added by malmeida about 5 years ago

Thank you for your reply.
As I have only one USB cable I only have the receiver module connected to the PC tcl screen. But with the rf12cw sketch I see now the bigger amplitude in the central frequency.
To do what you suggest, do I need to have both modules connected to the PC with 2 USB cables?

RE: rf12cw.ino for nRfMon nano spectrum analyzer - Added by JohnO about 5 years ago

If you reply via email it is important to remove all but your actual reply since it clutters up the web view - perhaps you could login and tidy it up.

With a single terminal you could rely on the acknowledgement from the receiving copy of RF12Demo to indicate receipt.

Load RF12Demo on both nodes.
With the nodes close together and terminal connected to Node A, press the letter ‘t’ and nothing else.
If you are receiving an acknowledgement you will see:

> 0t
test 1
 -> 66 b
> 0t
test 2
 -> 66 b

If hopefully you are receiving an acknowledgement you will see:

> 0t
test 3
 -> 66 b
OK 199
> 0t
test 4
 -> 66 b
OK 199

Increase the distance between your nodes and test again.

I am assuming that you have an antenna of the correct length attached to your RF12B.

RE: rf12cw.ino for nRfMon nano spectrum analyzer - Added by malmeida about 5 years ago

I loaded RF12demo on both nodes. With terminal connected to node A pressed t and nothing hapened. Choosed COM port and after some seconds it disconnectd. Used Tools/Serial monitor of Arduino changed baudrate to 57600 and the screen gets full of numbers. Done as README of RF12Demo and send 1i and 8b (868MHz) to one node and 2i and 8b to the other node. As the screen gets full of numbers I don’t know the node response. With the terminal, COM port discontects again. How can I see the node response with the Serial monitor of Arduino? The antennas have 90mm and the nodes run with the sketches of one switch on one node and a led on the other node.

Issue a “1q” command to suppress the noise.

I had network group 0. I sended 1g and now I can see that the answer to t is:
Current configuration:
A i1 g1 @ 868 MHz
> 0t
test 0
-> 66 b
OK 193
But in the spectrum analyzer, when I write t, I get:
Cannot transmit. Please choose a proper serial port.
. Disconnected

I’m afraid I don’t recall the nRFMon commands.

But stepping back to your original post you will be able to test your range with RF12Demo and the ‘t’ command. Will you post your results when you have them?

I tested and found that the node answers at the end of my apartment with 3 walls in between. I found that if I feed one node with a little battery I have not answer. Maybe that is the reason when I was in the countryside I had a short range. I need to go there again and test with a proper power supply to both nodes.

(1-8/8)