Project

General

Is EtherCard library still maintained?

Added by seba almost 5 years ago

I have the feeling that the EtherCard library is currently in a bad shape as even basic things such as DNS lookup won’t work. Also, some examples can’t be compiled with current Arduino toolchain.

This is a real pity as ENC25J60-based ethernet break-out boards are so popular among Arduino starters like me.

I can help debugging problems and maybe also help cleaning up the mess of having two issue trackers (GitHub, JeeLabs). But I have no deep knowledge of Ethernet to help coding.

Replies (6)

RE: Is EtherCard library still maintained? - Added by tochinet almost 5 years ago

Hi seba,

If you look on this and several other forums, you’ll see that a “nice EtherCard” is indeed a much wanted but not available thing. Not a lot of people understands its internal capabilities, and jcw did a good job then to make it better than the previous EtherShield when it wasn’t supported anymore, but even he could not bring it to a stable, easy to use state. I remember trying to document it a bit better, but it didn’t help a lot, nor even attracted a lot of reactions. Apparently you weren’t more successful :-( It is a fact that connecting an Arduino (derivative) to the Internet is clearly way more complex than blinking a led, and keeping it working is still even more complex.

Even projects like nanode.eu or openenergymonitor do not manage to be very active. So I guess many people that buy ENC25J60 boards only play a bit with them, then drop it because of the complexity and/or limitations, or precisely because the involved money was so low.

What do you want to achieve exactly ? In what kind of time frame ?

RE: Is EtherCard library still maintained? - Added by seba almost 5 years ago

I think the module is so popular as it is very cheap and doesn’t require a whole shield. I played around a bit with the idea of implementing a driver for the ENC28J60 chip for the official Arduino Ethernet library. The chip itself is well documented, but I did not get very far as I run out of time.

Still, I think this would be a much better solution so that not every library is reinventing how a TCP/IP stack should be implemented.

RE: Is EtherCard library still maintained? - Added by tochinet almost 5 years ago

Did you look at uipethernet from ntruchsess on github ? Probably it’s close to what you’d want. But the issue is that it takes almost the whole flash memory…

RE: Is EtherCard library still maintained? - Added by tankslappa almost 5 years ago

I don’t have an ethercard to hand right now (it’s out on loan), but if you can give me some details of the example code which won’t compile, I can try to have a look.

Hi tankslappa,

I tried several months ago to improve the documentation, and get some interesting things on my DINo, but it’s really so complex to get past the simple examples !

For example, starting from the “pachube” example, I would like to use “real” data coming from the serial interface or a dallas 18B20, instead of the “fake”. But when I move the ethernet stuff out of the loop(), it doesn“t work anymore.
Also, why/how can the code ”also releases all stash buffers once done " ?

I also investigated a bit, and for example, some other examples / common sketches on the Net are using bufferFiller (or not), or httpSend (or not), etc. That’s probably why the impression to seba and others is that the “library is in a bad shape”…

jcw (if listening), could you tell us a bit if you have plans to improve/clean up the library ? I’m also interested in the support of https: Is this something potentially possible or absolutely impossible ?

(1-6/6)