Project

General

Resolved: Jeenode v6 with independent supply source

Added by christrabin about 6 years ago

hi

i’ve two jeenodes when i connected one with a usb bub 2, i have no problem. i try to put a 9v stack (battery) on the second by a connector on the +- holes near the fdti connectors and thats not work. i try to put it after in the usb bub to verify but i have no result on the ide

if i have correctly read the manual, the jeenodes 6 can support a 9 v battery no?

how can i verify that i have not do a mistake?

thanks

Replies (13)

RE: jeenodes 6 with supply independant source - Added by JohnO about 6 years ago

Were both the JeeNodes operational using the USB-BUB before the 9V battery exercise?

RE: jeenodes 6 with supply independant source - Added by christrabin about 6 years ago

only one i suppose i dont try each one with the usb bub….think i do and error! i just see that the jeenodes withe the 9 battery is hot at the difference of the other near the capacitor and the other thing (that i dont remember the name in english near the gnd pin ftdi)

RE: jeenodes 6 with supply independant source - Added by JohnO about 6 years ago

Sounds like the regulator may have been challenged. We probably need Martyn our hardware guru to judge. Perhaps a photograph and a pointer to the hot part - I would not apply any more voltages until we know what is happening.

RE: jeenodes 6 with supply independant source - Added by christrabin about 6 years ago

i suppose effectively the regulator …i do a photo a soon as possible

night for me and my gmt

thanks

here are 2 photos with a pointer on the point hot. i just put the 9 v battery nothing else but i remember that on ide, i see somme comment on the debug screen but i dont remember the word and since as i said, there is nothing when i put the jeenodes.

Umh, I see that you don’t have D1 fitted and you don’t have the pads linked on the reverse of the PCB. As I recall you need one or the other, can you review the build instructions for your particular JeeNode version to appreciate what is required in the D1 section. Which JeeNode versions are you working with? can you compare it to the working JeeNode, if they are the same version.

Don’t solder or power anything until you are sure what is required. All at your own risk warnings!

Please don’t try the 9V battery again until we hear from Martyn.

RE: jeenodes 6 with supply independant source - Added by lightbulb about 6 years ago

christrabin,

Like JohnO said, dont do anything power wise until you hear from someone like Martyn.

However, this should be read and understood whilst you wait.
http://jeelabs.org/2009/12/07/jeenode-power-pins/

D1 is used to protect reverse voltage when FTDI & Battery are connected - as you dont’ have one, and maybe you connected both then perhaps
you may have compromised the chip and/or regulator and/or the bub II itself.

—lightbulb

first great thanks for your help
by D1, you wants to say the diode? there is diode in the 2 cases

i dont undestand pads linked on the reverse could you show me a picture?

i worked with jeenode v6. is there a command to verify when the jeenodes is plug for the version?

RE: jeenodes 6 with supply independant source - Added by martynj about 6 years ago

christrabin,

Compare your build with the JeeNode Wiki reference pictures and you will see that your regulator chip (three-legged black package, now HOT) is soldered in backwards.
Normally the damage is restricted to the regulator only - unless you plugged in the FTDI at the same time, then I would also suspect the FTDI chip on the BUB.

this 2 pictures for the second jeenodes which run with no problems

ok i saw the pb. the regulator is out or not in that case ?

RE: jeenodes 6 with supply independant source - Added by martynj about 6 years ago

christrabin,

That latest picture is fine - flat side of the regulator plastic package parallel and closest to the edge of the board.
You need to replace the regulator on the ‘defective’ board if you intend to use a 9v supply - it takes the 9v and reduces it to the 3.3V required by the logic.
If you intend ONLY to power from the USB BUB, you can remove the regulator, link the input pad to the output pad and run without the regulator in position (remember to check the BUB is set to 3V PWR).

Caution: Some large part of the 9V could have reached the ATMega chip and radio module - in which case, either or both are fried. As I mentioned, usually the regulator takes the hit and prevents too much voltage passing to what should be the 3.3V rail. It is worth at least a try replacing only the regulator chip and see if the board springs into life. Monitor the current from the 9V battery - anything above ~25mA when you first power on after the repair is bad.

the regulator is ok but the board springs into life thats not ok i think that the ATMega chip and radio module god save their soul

(1-13/13)