Project

General

Fried Jeenode or BUBII?

Added by jpenninkhof about 5 years ago

I’ve had my jeenode with ethercard and a few OOK radio’s running for quite a while. I think it’s about 3 years since I last looked at it.

Yesterday, I thought of changing the software slightly and decided to hook it up to the USB port again. Although the board seems to be running fine (the web-server I build still responds on the ethernet port), I can’t get a decent connection through USB anymore.

When I connect, I’m seeing this:

Any idea if I fried something? Did I fry the Jeenode, or perhaps the BUBII? Or is it something else?
Btw, I’m also not getting any love on other baud rates than 57600 either.

I’m running Windows 7 x64 with Arduino IDE 1.6, and am using the drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
My serial port settings: 8N1 (which is the default).

Replies (14)

RE: Fried Jeenode of BUBII? - Added by JohnO about 5 years ago

It looks like the wrong baud rate. Try linking TX to RX with the USB-BUB connected only to the USB cable. You should then see the correct characters echoed.

RE: Fried Jeenode or BUBII? - Added by martynj about 5 years ago

jpenninkhof,

If the TX/RX LED’s on the BUB flash when enumerating and that ‘COM8’ device is a fresh entry, there is not much wrong with the logic on the BUB.
I suggest downloading some trivial sketch from the IDE to see what error message this gives (with and without the Ethercard plugged in).

jpenninkhof wrote:
> I’m running Windows 7 x64 with Arduino IDE 1.6, and am using the drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Where did you find Arduino 1.6?

RE: Fried Jeenode of BUBII? - Added by jpenninkhof about 5 years ago

JohnO wrote:
> It looks like the wrong baud rate. Try linking TX to RX with the USB-BUB connected only to the USB cable. You should then see the correct characters echoed.

That’s what I initially thought. I’ve tried all baud rates available in the drop down. It should be listening to 57600 though.
I’ve also tried to connect only the BUB as you mentioned. I do see the led blink when I send something, but it doesn’t echo.

martynj wrote:
> If the TX/RX LED’s on the BUB flash when enumerating and that ‘COM8’ device is a fresh entry, there is not much wrong with the logic on the BUB.
> I suggest downloading some trivial sketch from the IDE to see what error message this gives (with and without the Ethercard plugged in).

COM8 is indeed a fresh entry.
I tried to upload another sketch, but that doesn’t work either. It comes up with the famous sync error.

JohnO wrote:
> Where did you find Arduino 1.6?

I’m sorry, I meant Arduino IDE 1.0.6 from http://arduino.cc/en/main/software
I just downloaded a fresh IDE.

jpenninkhof wrote:
> I’ve also tried to connect only the BUB as you mentioned. I do see the led blink when I send something, but it doesn’t echo.

Just to confirm, was this with a wire link between RX & TX ?

jpenninkhof wrote:
> I tried to upload another sketch, but that doesn’t work either. It comes up with the famous sync error.

Do you know which bootloader is on the node? It may be worth trying Duemilanove rather than Uno in case you are running an older bootloader.

jpenninkhof,

If the echo works with TX/RX linked, then the BUB logic is in good shape, including the derived 3.3V power rail. I assume you are running with the links set as 5V passed to the JeeNode - this rail is not proven yet.
Do you have a meter to measure PWR and 3.3V on any of the headers?
The JeeNode is either not talking on the RX/TX lines or they are loaded down for some reason. You are testing now without the Ethercard plugged in right?

RE: Fried Jeenode or BUBII? - Added by jpenninkhof about 5 years ago

martynj wrote:
> jpenninkhof,
>
> If the echo works with TX/RX linked, then the BUB logic is in good shape, including the derived 3.3V power rail. I assume you are running with the links set as 5V passed to the JeeNode - this rail is not proven yet.
> Do you have a meter to measure PWR and 3.3V on any of the headers?
> The JeeNode is either not talking on the RX/TX lines or they are loaded down for some reason. You are testing now without the Ethercard plugged in right?

I’ve shortcircutted the RX and TX on the BUB and it indeed echoes. So I guess that means that the BUB is okay and that serial/USB communication also works. Rule that out.
So I guess it must be the Jeenode itself then…

I’m currently powering the Jeenode from the BUB and everything else is currently disconnected (ethershield, OOK radios). I’ve measured 3.26V on the 3V pin and 4.91 on the 5V pin of the headers. Looks fairly decent to me…

I think the Jeenode is trying to talk to the BUB, hence the welcome message when I power it up.
Not sure what you mean with “loaded down” btw.

RE: Fried Jeenode or BUBII? - Added by JohnO about 5 years ago

Have you been able to try programming a sketch with Duemilanove set in the Arduino IDE (Tools/board) Arduino Duemilanove as the target board?

jpenninkhof,

If the meter reading is accurate, that 5V reading looks a little below specification. I suggest changing the USB cable to eliminate that as a cause.
What I meant by “loaded down” is that the symptoms look like the signal level back from the JeeNode is perhaps not swinging properly between ~ 0V and ~ Vcc, causing the junk interpretation.
The TX/RX lines are not shared so the probable cause is lack of voltage/unexpected series resistance. Re-sitting the ATMega in the chip socket is worth a try in case there is some oxidation at that interface.

JohnO wrote:
> Have you been able to try programming a sketch with Duemilanove set in the Arduino IDE (Tools/board) Arduino Duemilanove as the target board?

Yes, I did. But as far as I know, that’s only relevant if you want to program it. At this point, I’m not even getting a proper serial connection yet.

martynj wrote:
> jpenninkhof,
>
> If the meter reading is accurate, that 5V reading looks a little below specification. I suggest changing the USB cable to eliminate that as a cause.
> What I meant by “loaded down” is that the symptoms look like the signal level back from the JeeNode is perhaps not swinging properly between ~ 0V and ~ Vcc, causing the junk interpretation.
> The TX/RX lines are not shared so the probable cause is lack of voltage/unexpected series resistance. Re-sitting the ATMega in the chip socket is worth a try in case there is some oxidation at that interface.

It’s a meter from Gamma, so I can’t really expect stellar accuracy from it, I guess. Nevertheless, I’ve changed the USB cable, but unfortunately with the same result. I’ve also taken the ATMega chip out and put it back in place, again with a negative outcome. The board looks very clean anyway, no oxidation or dust.

Just coming to think of it. Can I assume that the TX/RX circuitery (UART?) on the Jeenode must be working fine? I believe it is also use for comms with the Ethercard. If it wasn’t working well, it would have taken the Ethercard down with it, right? I’m still getting http responses when I connect it…

Really puzzled…

Fried Jeenode or BUBII? - Added by pbadger about 5 years ago

Did you swap chips to see if the bootloader is corrupted?
Also if you don’t have an oscilloscope you can troubleshoot for presence of serial with an electrolytic capacitor - say 100 uF and a small speaker.

Paul Badger
Modern Device

pbadger wrote:
> Did you swap chips to see if the bootloader is corrupted?
> Also if you don’t have an oscilloscope you can troubleshoot for presence of serial with an electrolytic capacitor - say 100 uF and a small speaker.

I have another Jeenode board (used the Atmel for another project) and pushed the Atmel into that board. After connecting it to the BUB, it shows me exactly the same jibberish as on the original board. So I guess the board can be ruled out as well. It must indeed be the Atmel or the bootloader.
I’m afraid I don’t have a oscilloscope to do further tests.

Is there a way to just reflash a proper bootloader into the Atmel?

jpenninkhof,

A wealth of information on ISP programming here, including turning a ‘spare’ JeeNode into an ISP programmer.
This is equivalent to a cold start (the existing bootloader is overwritten). Remember to setup the fuse values also.
If this process fails, time to buy a new chip.

(1-14/14)