Project

General

Error uploading sketch to JeeNode V6. How to setup latest ver of Arduino IDE (v1.8.2) correctly?

Added by mike5000 almost 2 years ago

I have a project where I will attempt to use the JeeNode V6 but I can't transfer the compiled sketch to the JeeNode:

I have a FTDI 3,3 V board from Sparkfun (that is recognized by the PC)
Win 7, 64 bit
JeeNode v6
Not done anything with the Atmel chip , just inserted it into the socket (not burned any bootloader etc as I expect that was done from JeeLabs)
Arduino IDE version 1.8.2
I have installed the JeeLib so it is visible under Sketch/Include Library/JeeLib
The test1 sketch that came with the JeeLib install compiles without error in the Arduino IDE
I have selected Tools/Board/Arduino Genoino Uno/Arduino Genoino Uno - Not 100% sure this one is the correct one but I found blog posts dating back to 2012 stating that the Arduino Uno was the right board to use

Problem
I cannot transfer the sketch to the JeeNode V6 target
When hitting upload it takes like a couple of minutes and then these error messages pop up:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
...... etc

See below pictures.

What am I doing wrong?

jee1.jpg (175 KB) jee1.jpg
jee2.jpg (224 KB) jee2.jpg
jee3.jpg (224 KB) jee3.jpg

Replies (24)

RE: Error uploading sketch to JeeNode V6. How to setup latest ver of Arduino IDE (v1.8.2) correctly? - Added by JohnO almost 2 years ago

Could you try selecting Arduino Duemilanove, you may have an older Bootloader on the ATMega328.

RE: Error uploading sketch to JeeNode V6. How to setup latest ver of Arduino IDE (v1.8.2) correctly? - Added by mike5000 almost 2 years ago

Selected Duemilanove: same problem.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3e

Info: I have no external battery or PSU connected as I assume the Jeenode is powered via the FTDI interface. I wasnt able to find a schematic so not possible to say if the 3,3 reg gets 5V power from the USB bus or if there is a 3,3V from the 3,3V FTDI interface.

RE: Error uploading sketch to JeeNode V6. How to setup latest ver of Arduino IDE (v1.8.2) correctly? - Added by mike5000 almost 2 years ago

What "programmer" is the right one? I have a 3,3 FTDI interface from Sparkfun and hardly a programmer connected.

RE: Error uploading sketch to JeeNode V6. How to setup latest ver of Arduino IDE (v1.8.2) correctly? - Added by JohnO almost 2 years ago

Umh, have you recently built the Jeenode?

Perhaps you could post some close up photographs of the board.

If there is a bootloader on the ATMega then you don't need a programmer as Arduino communicates through the FTDI to the Boot loader. There will be a 5V regulator on the Jeenode providing 3v3 to the processor. I beleive that one needs to inject 5v via the FTDI connection to drive the Jeenode onboard regulator.

No, definitely not.

The data lines are at 3v3 but the PWR is 5v.

Sorry for being unclear.

I have two Sparkfun FTDIbreakout boards.

One is marked 3.3 V(the one I used)
One is marked 5V

If the difference is that the 3.3V FTDI breakout board outputs 3.3V into the JeeNode regulator (too low) while the 5V one outputs 5V into the JeeNode regulator (not sure about the voltage on the io pins) - that may explain the problem.

~~Perhaps you will be OK with the 5v unit since the ATMega328 is OK with 5v on its data pins. The onboard radio card is not 5v tolerant.

At your own risk of course - @martynj3 may be able to reassure us both.~~

official input high is max 0.5V above Vcc

The ideal is 3v3 data pins with 5v driving the Jeenode onboard regulator.

Ok thanks. Will look into that later.

If I had a schematic I would have seen how the regulator is connected.

Where do I find the JeeNode v6 PDF schematic? Tried a search on jeelabs website. No luck.

Thanx. I assume the diode is shorted on new boards (no diode in my kit)

Tried both the 5V FTDI and the 3,3V FTDI boards from Sparkfun now. The 5V version outputs 5V on IO pins as well. The 3,3V outputs 3,3V as supply and 3,3 on IO pins. I did measure the voltages.
None of them are able to program the JeeNode.

What is the correct programmer setting when I use FTDI?
AVR ISP (not likely)
AVR ISP MKII? (not likely)
USB Tiny ISP
Arduino ISP
ArduinoISP.org
USBasp
Paralell programmer
Arduino as ISP
Arduino Gemma
Bus pirate as ISP
Atmel STK500 (not likely)
Atmel JTAGICE3 isp mode (not likely)
Atmel JTAGICE3 JTAG mode (not likely)
Atmel ICE (Avr) (not likely)

Did you adjust the PWR voltage from 3v3 to 5v on the 3v3 FTDI a per the Sparkfun schematic http://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/BreakoutBoards/FTDI%20Basic-v22-3.3V.pdf?

I don't think the 5v FTDI unit is the way to go at all.

Tried both. What is the correct programmer setting in the Arduino IDE when I use FTDI?

I assume the Sparkfun FTDI board is pin compatible with the Jeenode? I recall something about an auto reset function etc in that SF board?

When you say you have tried both I suspect you mean that you have tried the 5v and the 3v3 Sparkfun boards.

Please don't use the 5v unit as I don't think it is compatible.

Instead, examine the 3v3 Sparkfun board and find the SJ2 jumper position which is set to default to 3v3 PWR and adjust it to select the alternative option giving 5v PWR both options operate with 3v3 logic. See the schematic for detail.

Try both Arduino Uno and Arduino Duemilanove.

If you still have no joy please post some close up photographs of the JeeNode, top & bottom of the PCB.

JohnO wrote:

The pinout is visible here:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0032/7122/products/usb-bub2_large.jpg?v=1342201365

The Sparkfun FTDI board (I have the old version) has the same pinout so this is now checked and found that should be OK

JohnO wrote:

When you say you have tried both I suspect you mean that you have tried the 5v and the 3v3 Sparkfun boards.

Please don't use the 5v unit as I don't think it is compatible.

Instead, examine the 3v3 Sparkfun board and find the SJ2 jumper position which is set to default to 3v3 PWR and adjust it to select the alternative option giving 5v PWR both options operate with 3v3 logic. See the schematic for detail.

Yes I have tried both sparkfun boards.

I will take a look at the schematics of both those Sparkfun boards (5V and 3,3V versions).
There is a pin on the FTDI chip that determines what voltage the IO out of the FTDI will have. If you feed it with 5V the IO will have 5V, if you feed it with 3,3V then the IO will have 3,3 V. I will check how it is wired on the 5V and 3,3V versions of the Sparkfun boards.

(1-24/24)